Come to work with a leading-edge organization and fuel your passion for public service. For nearly 25 years, Pacific Disaster Center (PDC) has supported the most demanding government customers and nonprofits worldwide, sharing in the mission to save lives and reduce disaster risk. As an applied research center managed by the University of Hawaii, we are continuously developing new technologies and recruiting new talent to help us advance our state-of-the-art solutions in disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery. Find out about job openings at PDC on the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii website at www.rcuh.com.
PDC provides mentored internship opportunities to self-motivated students who take pride in their work, have a passion to learn and a commitment to problem-solving. Our internships offer individuals the chance to apply learned skills and theory to real-world problems.
Akamai Workforce Initiative
Offered to college students in Hawaii. Applications accepted in Nov. Please check the site for details.
University of Hawaii Student Employment & Cooperative Education (SECE)
Available only to college students within the UH system. PDC posts internship position descriptions to this site.
CareerLink – UH Maui College Cooperative (Co-Op) Education program
Available only to UH-MC students. Please check the site for details.
Ke Alahele Program
Offered through Maui Economic Development Board (MEDB) internship program
Direct internships with PDC are also available on an as-needed basis. Please inquire per the guidelines below.
- All internships are based on the island of Maui in Hawaii. PDC does not support internships outside of Maui.
- All internship programs are paid internships. However, we do not offer relocation or housing support.
- Technical internships are for summer undergraduate and graduate students. Communications internships are offered year-round.
- U.S. Citizenship is not required, however:
- Candidates MUST have permission to work in the U.S. for the duration of internship; and
- PDC does NOT sponsor visas for international students.
- Long-term internships (for graduate students) may be as long as 6 months. Candidates must submit a resume as part of the submission. Areas of interest for internship may also be submitted.
- For PDC’s direct internship program, the applicant must submit a resume. Area(s) of interest for internship may also be submitted. Internship is contingent upon need and availability.
Computer or GIS skills and literacy
- Computer programming (C++, Java, Jscript, …)
- Scripting (PHP, Python, Shell, …)
- Web/App development (HTML, CSS, JSON, …)
- AI experience and/or interest
- GIS (data processing, visualization, …)
- Imagery and/or Image analysis
- Physical sciences and/or modeling
- Data analysis and/or statistics
Communications or design skills and literacy
- Public relations, communications, content development experience
- Web UX / UI design principles
- Graphic design using latest Adobe products
- Video editing
- Marketing copy development
- Social media content management