Just In: Your Weekly Flood Report!
Over the past week flooding has been observed in many regions around the globe, including Africa, Southeast Asia, and Europe. In Eastern Africa, localized flooding was reported in Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda; further flooding is possible as additional rainfall is forecast within the region (NOAA/CPC). Flooding was also reported in Angola, South Sudan, Italy, Philippines, and Indonesia.
Remember, if you are located in one of these areas or perhaps another area currently at risk of flooding, here are a few important steps to help keep yourself and your family safe! (ARC)
- Pay attention to warnings and reports issued by your local or regional disaster management authority.
- Be ready to evacuate at any time.
- When a flood warning is issued, head for higher elevation.
- Keep out of and away from flood waters and do not attempt to drive through flooded roads.
For more information on flooding and other types of natural hazards be sure to check out PDC’s Natural Hazards webpage! Be sure to also check-out the PDC’s Preparing for Disaster webpage and Printable Disaster Checklist so you can start preparing today!
Below, let’s take a closer look at recent flooding events in Italy!
Precipitation & Flooding: Italy
According to AlertNet, days of heavy rains impacted northern and central Italy earlier this week, resulting in severe flooding in many areas. In the village of Albinia, Tuscany, around 800 people were evacuated and thousands reported to be without electricity. Much of Venice was also flooded, with high water levels reaching around 5 feet; the city’s sixth highest level since 1872.
The latest forecast for Italy shows areas with continued precipitation.
Other Flooding Events
Some additional flooding events that occurred this week are:
- Ongoing Flood Situation, Floodwaters Receding
- Over 7.7 million persons affected and over 597,000 houses damaged or destroyed (UNOCHA)
- Heavy Rains, Landslides and Mudflows
- At least 6 persons killed
- Hundreds of homes damaged (ReliefWeb)
- Philippines (Imelda, Zamboanga Sibugay)
- Heavy Rains, Flooding
- Around 250 families affected (NDRRMC)
- Indonesia (Depok)
- River Flooding
- Hundreds of Houses Inundated (ReliefWeb)
PDC is currently monitoring flooding events in: Angola, Burundi, England, Honduras, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, and Wales.
Over the next week, PDC will continue to monitor areas of high precipitation and keep a close eye on flooding across the globe. Want to find the most up-to-date information on flooding and other hazards occurring in your neighborhood or around the world? Then be sure to download PDC’s free Disaster Alert mobile app available for your iOS or Android devices today! Also be sure to continue to monitor PDC on Twitter, Facebook, and by way of the Global Hazards Atlas.