Severe Weather Conditions Continue Across Caribbean
Over the past two months, severe weather has impacted many of the islands in the Caribbean, bringing heavy rains, strong winds, and tropical cyclones to the region (ECHO).
- On November 29, overnight heavy rainfall that triggered widespread flooding and landslides prompted the closing of schools and businesses in Kingstown, the capital city of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (PAHO, Media). As of December 1, flood warnings have been discontinued and damage assessments are underway (NEMO).
- Ongoing heavy rainfall throughout the month of November has led to flooding and landslides across much of the Dominican Republic. Flooding has severely impacted subsistence farming in the provinces of Duarte (specifically the area of Bajo Yuna) and Puerto Plata, and damage to drinking water sources has been identified in Puerto Plata, Espaillat, Duarte, Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Monte Cristi, Santiago, and Valverde (ReliefWeb/IFRC). As of November 30, an estimated 4,000 homes have been damaged and approximately 20,000 people remain displaced (PAHO).
- Severe flooding from heavy rainfall is also impacting Barbados, Saint Lucia, and Dominica (PAHO).
RVA Country Profile: Dominican Republic
This Week in Hazards
- Severe weather is affecting Saudi Arabia, where heavy rainfall has led to flooding in several areas of the country. As of November 30, severe weather conditions have led to several injuries and deaths, as well as damage to houses and transportation infrastructure (ECHO).
- Wildfires continue to affect parts of the southeastern United States, including a fire in Sevier County, Tennessee, that prompted the mandatory evacuation of 14,000 people from the city of Gatlinburg (NASA, TEMA). As of December 1, approximately 8,500 people throughout Sevier County remain without power as the Chimney Tops 2 Fire (which began on November 23) continues to burn near Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and surrounding areas adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (InciWeb).
Current Hazard Warnings
Flood: Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Paraguay, Saudi Arabia (Western), Thailand, Myanmar, Australia (Victoria), Venezuela, Caribbean Region (Barbados, Saint Lucia, Dominica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
Winter Storm: Canada (Yukon)
Wildfire: United States (Tennessee)
Drought: United States (Western, Southern, Northeastern), Brazil
For real-time information on current disasters download PDC’s free Disaster Alert mobile app available for your iOS or Android devices today! Also be sure to monitor PDC on Twitter, Facebook, and by accessing the web-accessible of Disaster Alert from your computer, phone, or tablet.