Reporting ThresholdMost shores: 8 foot full face surf height from trough to crest
for High Surf Hazards
DisasterAWARE now includes PDC’s proprietary SmartAlert technology. You select the areas and hazards to monitor and we’ll alert you to threats within or approaching those areas automatically.
Offering the following alert severity levels:Severity levels are designated by the authoritative reporting agency. The following thresholds are for Hawaii.
|West-Facing Shores – Big Island||8ft|
|West-Facing Shores – Remaining Islands||12 Ft|
|South-Facing Shores||8 Ft|
|East-Facing Shores||8 Ft|
|West-Facing Shores – Big Island||12Ft|
|West-Facing Shores – Remaining Islands||20 Ft|
|South-Facing Shores||15 Ft|
|East-Facing Shores||15 Ft|
Professional versions: SMS Text | Email | App Alerts
Public version: App Alerts Only
Be Aware and Prepare
Always heed instructions from local authorities and receive alerts about major hazards from PDC’s DisasterAlert app or on the DisasterAlert website.
Act nowIf authorities have issued a high surf warning for your area, remain out of the water!
- Remain out of the water. Know your limits: “when in doubt, do not go out.”
- Do not turn your back to the ocean.
- Rock jetties can be deadly in such conditions. Stay off rocks and away from dangerous surf.
Plan aheadLive in or plan to visit an area that experiences high surf?
- Know your area’s risk for high surf.
- Monitor surf forecasts and local conditions.
- Plan activities away from high surf areas.