Building Disaster Resilience and Reducing Disaster Risks
We strive to prevent hazards from becoming disaster, and disaster from becoming crises. We do this by applying science and technology and exchanging knowledge. Our work fosters disaster resilient communities around the globe.
PDC harnesses advances in data collection and observation systems, computing, impact modeling and risk assessment, visualization, and information and communication systems to empower decision makers, disaster management professionals and the public.
We support disaster mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery efforts worldwide – using a strategy that is consistent with the United Nations’ approach to loss reduction. We deliver near real-time hazards information to the public and improve decision making. This is accomplished by developing collaborative partnerships and using the latest information and communications technology (ICT) and applied science to provide secure access to reliable products and services that help people understand and act upon potential risks and impacts of hazards.
From PDC's Executive Director:
-Ray Shirkhodai, PDC Executive Director
- Data for International Response
- Solutions Across Borders (DMRS)
- Information Support for Japan
- Protecting Papahānaumokuākea
- Statewide Hurricane Preparedness
- Preparing for Hazards in the Pacific
- Information Support for Haiti
- Reducing Flood Risk in Hawaii
- DisasterAWARE in Thailand (NDWC)
- Vietnam Decision Support System
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation
- Situational Awareness in the Philippines
- Modeling Volcanic Gases
- Risk Assessment in the Philippines